Spray Tanning Tips
Preparing for a Sunless Application
- Exfoliate skin at least 24 hours before your sunless tan. This will ensure smooth skin and a primed surface for the tanning solution to cohere to. Pay particular attention to your hands, elbows, knees and feet as these are places more apt to over-develop.
- Shave at least 24 hours before your sunless session.
- Any waxing should be done 24-48 hours before your sunless session.
- Apply a moderate amount of moisturizer to dry skin areas such as the hands, elbows, knees and feet, up to 2 hours before your sunless tan application.
- The day of your tan, avoid any lotions and make-up that may act as a barrier to prevent even application of your tan.
- Do not apply deodorant prior to your session.
- Solution will stain fabrics. Bring dark, loose-fitting clothing and flip flops or sandals to wear after your tan session until your first shower.
Sunless Tanning Application
Try to remain calm during your spray and relax your muscles for proper, natural looking contouring. Follow directions of spray tanning technician to avoid creasing in the skin as the solution dries. Until it dries, solution may feel tacky. Try not to touch your skin during this time. Relax, be patient and let the DHA develop.
After the Sunless Application
- Wait at least 8 hours to shower.
- Cosmetic bronzer will wash-off during your first shower and this is normal.
- Do not apply moisturizer until after your first shower. Applying at any time before could cause streaking.
- Avoid sweating until after your first shower.
- Moisturize daily and use post-tan products as directed during the life of your spray tan. This will preserve your tan for as long as possible and ensure it fades evenly. A sunless tan can last anywhere from 3-10 days with proper maintenance.
- When in the sun, remember to use a sunscreen. Even with a sunless tan, your skin still needs protection from burning. Sunless products do not contain a sunscreen
Body products to avoid:
Many body care products exfoliate or dry out the skin and could potentially cause blotching, uneven fading of your spray tan.
- Anti-acne products.
- Anti-aging products.
- Bar soaps.
- Beta-Hydroxy acid (BHA)-based products.
- Retin-A-based products.
- Facial masks and other facial exfoliating scrubs.
- Makeup removers.
- Waxing / hair removal products.
- Body hair bleaching products.
- Alcohol-based or Which Hazel-based skin toners. These can dramatically lighten your tan.
- Hair-inhibiting lotions. These can turn your tan yellow.
- Daily heavy exercise or excessive sweating can cause your tan to fade quickly and possibly unevenly.
- Submersion in long baths, hot tubs or swimming pools can also cause your tan to fade quickly.
- Body spray, perfumes and bug sprays can be used, but it is recommended that you don’t spray directly on your skin. Spray onto your clothing or spray in a mist and walk through.